- Food and Wine
- Local Knowledge
- Planning Tips
- Sip & Savour
- Slopeside Stories
- Whistler Wildlife
The most discerning guests know breakfast in bed is always a good idea. To help, chefs at Fairmont Chateau Whistler are serving up quick and easy breakfast recipes that are also healthy so moms everywhere can be treated like the queens they are.
Treat mom to a special breakfast this Mother’s Day. Using Devo’s step by step recipes, create a beautiful parfait, complete with homemade small batch granola and quickie fruit compote.
DEVO’S MOTHER’S DAY PARFAIT RECIPE
Devo’s Small Batch Granola Recipe
Yield 2 ¼ cups
1 cup Oats
1 cup Nuts/Seeds of Choice (use a mix!)
1 teaspoon Cinnamon
Pinch of salt
¼ cup Dried Fruit of Choice
2 Tablespoons Melted Butter
3 Tablespoons Granulated Sugar
1 Tablespoon Honey
Juice of half a small orange
1) Put all dry mix items except the dried fruit in a mixing bowl
2) Mix together all wet mix items in a small bowl, stir until blended
3) Pour blended wet mix into bowl containing dry items, stir together to ensure evenly coated
4) Lay out mixture evenly on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet
5) Bake in preheated 320-degree oven for 10 minutes
6) Pull out of the oven and stir granola on a baking sheet to ensure cooking evenly. Ensure after mixing that it is again evenly laid out.
7) Put back in the oven and cook 7 more minutes
8) Pull out of the oven once more and again stir on baking sheet this time sprinkling in your dried fruit.
9) Put back in the oven and bake for a final 5 minutes.
10) Pull from oven and do not stir. Allow cooling at room temperature.
11) When cool store in an airtight container, the granola will taste best if consumed within 2 weeks.
Note on bake time
This baking time is just a guideline. Many variables may affect how long you will need to bake your granola. My advice is for the second 2 baking sessions to watch the granola very carefully as it can go from beautifully golden to burnt very quickly. You are looking for an even golden brown colour on your oats and nuts.
The next step is to make the fruit compote!
QUICKIE FRUIT COMPOTE
Quickie Fruit Compote
¼ cup jam of choice
½ cup fresh or frozen fruit (if using frozen ensure it is defrosted and any excess liquid drained)
Juice of ½ an Orange
1) Mix jam and orange juice together in a small bowl till blended
2) Gently fold in fruit of choice
Now, it’s time to assemble your parfaits!
- 1 cup plain or vanilla yogurt (thicker yogurt types like Greek or Skyr work best)
- 1 medium ziplock bag
- ¼ cup to ½ cup Granola
- ½ cup Fruit Compote
- Additional Fruit (optional)
- Edible Flowers (optional)
- Fancy Glass or Mason Jar to serve in
- Fill your ziplock bag with the yogurt. This will become your piping bag. Cut a small corner off the filled piping bag and pipe in half of the yogurt into your serving vessel. Take your time to ensure it is piped in even and cleanly.
- Carefully spoon in half of your fruit compote on top of the yogurt.
- At this point you can add any additional fruit you would like. Make sure it is cut into bite-sized pieces, banana or berries are a nice option.
- Pipe on the second half of the yogurt on top of the fruit, follow with the second half of the compote.
- Finish with the granola on top (use as much or as little as you would like)
- Garnish with edible flowers or a sprig of mint if you have it!
More recipes, you ask? Learn how to make a Chef Isabel’s delicious Mexican-inspired chopped salad as well as the secrets to Mitchell’s Brisket from our Cinco de Mayo blog post.