Chef Isabel shares a personal recipe for her specialty,’Clean Your Pantry Curry.’
No matter where you are in the world, recipes and home cooking seem to be a staple on our minds and in our conversations. Whether it’s longing for a long lost savory dish from that hidden beach you happened upon in your former travel days, the comfort food from your local fooderie, or even just the idea of seeing a delightful array of options on a menu prepared just for you – we still find ourselves opening the fridge, and finding that maybe our reality doesn’t quite have the same appetite as our imagination does.
So, with the tastes of the world on your mind, and the realities of being Head Chef Chez You, how can we have a taste of vacation from the comfort of our kitchens? Well, we went to our local experts to ask for their advice. And Executive Chef Isabel had a suggestion that has us sharpening our knives and ringing that dinner bell. Let’s join Chef with her specialty Curry that will have us cleaning out our pantries with a taste of Fairmont Chateau Whistler lingering on our pallets. Chef Isabel will step us through her personal fav…knives up in 3, 2, 1….
“I make this the day before groceries arrive to make sure I am ready for the new week – and to clean up all the odds and ends from the week.”Executive Chef Isabel, Fairmont Chateau Whistler
Getting started –
- ¼ cup onion, small dice
- 2 Tbsp oil (coconut, canola, olive – whatever you have)
- 2 Tbsp curry paste (I like the Thai Green)
- 1 tin coconut milk
- 1 Tbsp brown or palm sugar
- 2 Tbsp fish sauce
- 2 cups large cut veg, roasted (this can be anything really – I like broccoli, cauliflower, potatoes, mushrooms, and peppers)
- ½ – 1 cup cooked chicken, lentils, chickpeas, beans (only if you have them)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Fresh herbs – (basil, cilantro, parsley all work well)
Step by Step –
- Sauté onion in the oil over med-high heat
- Add curry paste and lightly brown
- Add coconut milk and reduce heat to a simmer
- Stir well ensuring that you scrape the bottom of the pan and nothing is sticking
- Add sugar and fish sauce
- Toss in cooked vegetables and simmer until heated thoroughly
- Add cooked chicken, beans, lentils, chickpeas or anything else you want
- Season to taste with salt and pepper
- Serve over rice or noodles
- Garnish with fresh chopped herbs if you have them!
There you have it, folks. A clean pantry, a full belly, and a taste of Fairmont on your lips. We can’t wait to see you back in Whistler soon. But until then, stay happy and healthy – and let’s keep cooking recipes at home together! If you’re looking for more inspiration, check out True North Rockies to learn more about Fairmont properties across Western Canada.